ConceptKCTCS/KCTCSConcept Financial Aid FAQs | Somerset Community College
banner image of male student_costs & financial aid

Financial Aid FAQs

How do I know if I am eligible?

Every student wanting financial aid should fill out the FAFSA. It must be submitted electronically. FAFSA on the Web:

What about GED and high school diplomas?

Students are not eligible for financial aid until they graduate from high school or pass the GED.

Must all students receiving financial aid be a degree seeking student?

Yes, all students receiving financial aid must be a degree seeking student.

If a student's aid file is verified, what documents must be submitted to clear verification?

Verification worksheet and IRS Data Retrieval Tool or IRS Tax Return Transcript must be submitted.

Does financial aid pay for certificates?

Certificates of at least 16 credit hours or more offered by SCC.

How do I know how much money I will get?

After completing the FAFSA, each student receives a Student Aid Report (SAR). The student's financial aid case manager at the school will be able to advise the student about their eligibility, or the student may contact the Financial Aid Office.

What is the maximum amount of financial aid I can receive?

Currently, Pell Grants are $2865 per semester; CAP Grants are $950; SEOG's are $480 (Semester Awards). Currently, EFCs greater than 5157 are not eligible for grants. Loans and workstudy will be awarded upon request depending on eligibility and funds.

How many credit hours are required to receive aid?

Generally, students must be enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours for undergraduate and graduate students) in required coursework to receive most types of aid including Stafford Loans. However, a student may receive a Pell Grant for less than half-time enrollment.

What are e-bills and how do they work?

The college does not mail an invoice or bill to you through the postal service. E-bills are the official student billing of the college. E-bills are e-mailed to your student account each Thursday following any activity on your account. For example, if you enroll or add a class on a Friday, you will receive your e-bill for that action the following Thursday. Prior to receiving the e-bill, however, you can look on PeopleSoft Self-Service to get your new balance due. PeopleSoft Self-Service is available 24/7 via the internet. When you receive your e-bill you will see a list of your enrolled classes, the classes you have dropped, and your balance due.

How do I access my e-bill?

You must activate your student e-mail account to get your e-bill.  Instructions for setting up your student e-mail/PeopleSoft Self-Service account can be found on the Admissions Checklist.

How can I pay my e-bill?

There are several options for payment. You can pay with cash, check, all major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover Card, & American Express); or you may find that the FACTS tuition management payment plan is helpful because you can divide your payment into several payments, depending on when you apply for the plan. There is a payment deadline for each session, unless prior arrangements have been made at the Business Office.  Payment options may vary, depending on the semester/session. Payments may be mailed to SCC and must reach the Business Office on or before the deadline. Credit card payments can be made by calling the Business Office; e-check and credit card payments can also be made on-line through the PeopleSoft Self-Service link.


What is the FACTS tuition management payment plan and how do I apply?

Currently, the payment plan is available for classes lasting 16 weeks; four and eight week courses must be paid in full by the tuition payment deadline date. To help you meet your educational expenses, Somerset Community College is proud to offer FACTS as a convenient budget plan. FACTS is not a loan program. You have no debt, there are no interest or finance charges assessed, and there is no credit check. The cost to budget your interest-free monthly payment plan is a $25.00 per semester non refundable FACTS Enrollment Fee. You may budget your tuition by Automatic Bank Payment (ACH) which requires a checking account, or your may use the credit card option. You can enroll in the payment plan online through PeopleSoft Self-Service.

What records will I need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid?

If you declare yourself independent, you’ll need to gather the information below for you. If you’re married, you’ll need to gather this information for both you and your spouse. If you declare yourself a dependent student, you’ll need the following for you and your parents:

  • Driver’s license and Social Security card (students only)
  • W-2 Forms and other records on money earned in 2008
  • 2008 U.S. income tax return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ)
  • Records of untaxed income, such as welfare, Social Security, TANF or ADC, or veterans benefits
  • Current bank statement
  • Current mortgage information
  • Business and farm records
  • Records of stocks, bonds, and other investments
  • Copies of records showing child support received or paid during 2008
  • Copies of records showing any income or benefits not mentioned above or reflected in 2008 income taxes
  • A copy of your high school transcript or GED (or statement of proof) may be required by the admissions or financial aid office before financial aid is awarded

What happens after I apply?

If you apply online, your application will be processed in a week. If you apply by mail, it will take about four weeks. Unless any problems arise, you will get a Student Aid Report in the mail showing how much aid you may receive and how much you’ll need to pay.

When do I get my money?

Checks at all KCTCS institutions cannot be requested until after drop/add and the reporting of no shows and deletions for the semester. Higher One will be the company we work with to get students their residual money. You have the option of having your own account, setting up an account with Higher One, or requesting a check (which will take longer to receive).

How will I get the aid money?

We have a written procedure you can review in the Office of Financial Aid. After tuition, fees, and required book costs are paid, refund checks are sent to you or given to you at our business office.

Do I have to maintain a certain GPA to receive financial aid?

Yes, all students receiving financial aid are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, and pass 67% of all coursework attempted and be on pace to graduate wihin 150% of your program required hours.

What about book vouchers for financial aid recipients?

Books can be charged for students who have a completed financial aid file and eligibility. Charges begin one week prior to classes beginning. Vouchers are not required, but you must have given us permission on a Financial Aid Release (FAR) form to release your financial aid information to Barnes and Noble.

What if my income situation has changed?

Please contact the Financial Aid Office and request that a recalculation be done based on updated information. Examples of such request include plant closing, death/divorce of parent/spouse, excessive medical expenses, etc.

What about Return to Title IV for withdrawal?

Students who withdrraw from college prior to the 60% period are required to repay a portion of their financial aid and the Business Office is required to return a portion of the student's tuition money to Title IV Aid Programs. If a student keeps one class, this process does not have to be completed. It is important for academic advisors to try to work with students to keep them in college.

Is college workstudy available?

Workstudy may be available for eligible students. Somerset Community College North and South Campus students usually earn $7.25 per hour and are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week. A W-4/K-4's, I-9, and a KCTCS student work application must be completed prior to the student starting to work. Each potential worker must have a background check completed.

Can financial aid recipients get paid for developmental classes?

Yes. Financial aid can pay for up to 30 hours of remedial classes.

Is aid available for the summer?

Effective Summer 2012, there is no additional money for Summer Pell unless a student was not paid full time for fall and/or spring semesters.

Can I receive financial aid for the Lineman Program?

No, the program does not meet the qualifications for the Federal Financial Aid.

Can I receive financial aid for the CNA class?

ONLY, if you are a PN or RN student or admitted as a pending student for one of these programs.

I am thinking of taking the Phlebotomy class. Does financial aid pay for it?

Only if you are degree seeking.

Higher One sent me an email stating I need to confirm my identity?

You need to click on the question mark by your name when you login to your Higher One account; print it off; make a copy of your driver's license or I.D. and drop it off in the Higher One box in the Financial Aid Office or fax it to Higher One.

I lost my PIN number?

Go to and request a duplicate pin.

How do education tax credits work?

Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning credits are subtracted from your taxes. They cover tuition and any costs you need to pay to enroll, except insurance, medical and health fees, room and board, transportation, or similar living expenses.

I’m a veteran. Do veterans get any special benefits?

If you are a veteran of any war since 1917 and were a Kentucky resident during your service, you get free tuition, fees, room, and fuel and lights. Many additional benefits are available by contacting our veterans’ affairs office.