ConceptKCTCS/KCTCSConcept Frequently Asked Questions | Somerset Community College

Frequently Asked Questions

As an F-1 student, am I allowed to work?

The U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services will allow international students to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. During vacations, students can work up to 37.5 hours per week. There are limited jobs available at SCC and international students cannot expect to be guaranteed a campus job.

Does SCC offer financial assistance for international students?

No, financial assistance is not available for International students.

How can I attend Somerset Community College?

You must complete an Admissions Application first. You will also need to:
• Be accepted
• Provide financial support documents
• Be issued an I-20 form
• Apply for the F-1 (DS 2019 for J-1) student visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country

How do I select my classes?

Schedule an appointment with the International & Immigrant Services Student Officer. Once all necessary paper work is completed, you will meet with an Academic Advisor.

What is a community college?

Community colleges offer fully accredited academic programs that prepare the student for access to upper division education at public and private universities. Community colleges also offer two year certificate programs that lead to employment.

What is the advantage for International students to attend a community college?

• Easy, open admission policies.
• Wide selection of academic programs.
• Supportive learning environment with small classes.
• Low cost tuition.
• Credits fully transferable to other colleges and universities.

What is the I-20 Form?

It is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services form issued by the school. It states that a prospective International student has met the requirements for admission and has been accepted for a full course of study. The I-20 also indicates proof that the student meets the financial requirements. It does not guarantee a student will receive a visa or gain entrance to the U.S. However, it is needed to apply. If the visa is granted the I-20 is also needed to enter the U.S. at the port of entry.